keskiviikkona, tammikuuta 18, 2006

Ciao bella

This one goes for my beloved friends in the lovely land of Italy.

Living now relatively close to Italy, the thought of visiting my old but not forgotten friends there never left the back of my head. I sometimes have the problem of not getting things done so it took me almost seven months to actually do something to contact the guys living a little to the west from my current location. I finally found a few e-mail adresses from my archives and sent a hello to all of them, but only found out that for some reason or another, they wern’t used anymore. I heard that my lovely friend Jaana had been in contact with some of the guys so I didn’t abandon hope but still tried to send message to address she had given me.

Today, I went to check my mailbox, as I do every single day, desperately hoping for some word from my friends. The overwhelming joy filled my heart when I noticed that Francesca, who I had tried to contact earlier, had replied. The content of the message made me even happier. She wrote that my visit could be arranged, and that she is even looking forward to it. Boy, was I like the shining sun the rest of the day. Just when I thought I couldn’t get any happier, I noticed that I had received also a message from Alessandro. Thank you for making my day guys.

So now there’s a goal in my life again. I just have to figure out the exact date(s) when I take off from Macedonia to be transported to the land of overwhelmingly friendly people and good wine. (I think it was Danilo’s dad who first introduced me to the wonderful world of italian wines. Thanks Michele heh.) Easter could be one possibility. I heared that there could be quite a many of you in Matera then.

So now a little about myself. I work as a squadleader in the first mechanised infantry platoon of A-company in the Finnis contingent (I bet that tells you a lot. :) ). Shortly put I work as a peacekeeper in central Kosovo. I have seven fine men and two women in my squad and my job includes mostly planning and leading patrols and vehicle checkpoints and guarding the base. Sounds pretty boring, but I’d dare to say it isn’t.

I get to be in contact with the local people, most of wich are very friendly and decent people, every day. I’ve been able to see totally different culture and through that, I’ve learned to see my own world in a completely different light and also learned quite a lot of myself in the progress. I could easilly say that this has been quite an experience for me and I’m quite sure that I’m going to look back to this year with a lot warm feelings. Even more so, if I manage to see some friends, who I havn’t seen in too long time.

My last visit to Italy was unforgettable because of a huge bunch of unforgettable people. Knowing that I’m going to see the same people not long from now gives quite a lot of strenght to make through the remaining few months here. So all the best for every single one of you.

I could say I’m waiting the Easter like Christmas now. Heh.

Oh the memories. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonyymi said...

*lol*
how beautiful is the memory of our friend Jari in Italy, had forgotten a whole lot of things!
I'm so happy for you getting your butt transported to Italy, just try to get your things arranged.. Honestly happy for you dear.

tammikuuta 19, 2006 7:43 ip.  
Anonymous Anonyymi said...

Why did you do this to me!!?? Now I started to miss Italy. And the people. And everything. Aah. Dove la mia scarpa? (And i did really mean one shoe).
Well, It's really nice to you maybe getting there. Happy.

tammikuuta 19, 2006 11:12 ip.  
Blogger Aleksi said...

No-one stopping you to come too. Heh

tammikuuta 20, 2006 1:41 ap.  
Anonymous Anonyymi said...

I would, but my boss won't give me any holiday to do that. Well, some day...

tammikuuta 20, 2006 7:32 ip.  

Lähetä kommentti

<< Home